A total of 281 Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) beneficiaries from four (4) Local Government Units (LGUs) in Palawan receive their DOLE counterpart wage for the work they have rendered from their LGUs last August 13-19, 2019. DOLE Palawan distributed the department’s 40% counterpart to LGU Taytay with 44 youth beneficiaries, LGU El Nido with 20, LGU Brooke’s Point with 20 and City Government of Puerto Princesa with 197.

Totaling to Php753,533.84, DOLE released 40% applicable minimum wage counterpart amounting to Php49,756.80 for LGU El Nido, Php109,464.96 for LGU Taytay, Php49,756.80 for LGU Brooke’s Point and Php544,555.28 for City Government of Puerto Princesa.

Ms. Shecainah Mae Z. Abarca is an 18-year old beneficiary of the said program from Puerto Princesa City. She is a SPES baby and a current grade 12 student from a public school, however, due to some financial constraints she was forced to stop studying. With the SPES Program from DOLE, she will now additional financial support to continue her studies next school year. “Nag-iipon talaga ako ng pera para maipagpatuloy ko ang aking pag-aaral dahil gusto ko pong makapagtapos ng aking pag-aaral. Nagpapapasalamat po ako na ang SPES ng DOLE ay isang malaking tulong  sa akin upang magkaroon ako ng dagdag-kita para maabot ko ang aking pangarap” (I am saving money to support my school finances because I want to finish my studies. Thanks to DOLE’s SPES for giving me this employment opportunity leading to career success), she said.

Commonly known as “summer job” among the Filipino youth, the SPES is an employment bridging program of Department of Labor and Employment during Summer or Christmas Vacation that aims to augment the family’s income of poor but deserving students, Out-of-School (OSY) youth or dependents of displaced or would-be-displaced workers who intend to finish their education. DOLE shoulders 40% of applicable minimum wage of beneficiaries while the employer (except low income LGUs) shoulder the remaining 60%. The SPES beneficiaries, either working in private or public establishments, are entitled to an insurance coverage for a period of one year.

End/Renell G. Mayo